Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Exactly Like School

* Sigh *
D has been so institutionalized that he wants me to do everything exactly like school. I won't but he thinks that's what he wants. I told him to put his DVD in that he's watching for physics and he was upset that I'm not being like "the teacher" would be, I should put it in, start it, tell him where to sit...

He had a moment, barely more than a literal moment, when he expressed interest in being involved in the planning of his own education - I think he frightened himself making that request. He retreated not long afterward like a turtle into its shell. The "be exactly like school" panic came after this.

How can someone be so adamantly against having any input into his own life? This is not recent, not at all, and it seems to be getting worse. Long ago, in exasperation I asked him, "Do you want me to tell you what to think too? Or perhaps I should think the thoughts for you and just pour them into your head?!"
His reply was, "You know what? I would like that; I wish you really could."

*More sighs*
School is not likely the culprit here, it's too extreme. I have no idea what to do for a child like this.