Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Reading, Reading, Yes, Again - And A Link

A few posts ago I asked if there are more boys (kids) with reading trouble now or if we just notice it more now. I found this site that says they believe it's more boys with trouble now. I didn't see a date for the research but regardless, this site may be helpful. It has short stories and activities specifically for boys: BOYS ROCK Reading.
I've been asking friends with boys who hate to read what they think of just accepting it and helping their boys into careers that don't require much intense reading. I'm afraid that would be shortchanging D to accept it but CAN it change? Is he perhaps wired so that language won't ever come easily, or at least nowhere as easily as numbers? Is it the same as insisting a child with one leg go running every day? Or is consistently pushing it more like giving a child with one leg a prosthetic leg, holding his hand, and helping him until he can balance and move quickly on his own?

The site I mentioned may be useful for specific reading help and it gave me excellent reasons and motivation to persevere.
I want questions and activities that go with reading selections but literature guides for his age are way too hard - Across Five Aprils is one suggestion. I've looked it over and can't imagine bothering to show him the book. I've found a book he might like but I have to make a study guide myself and that's been hard going (not the Time science one I mentioned long ago, that's all factual so no problem). D completely dislikes questions he considers 'girly' about emotions and deep meanings; he also dislikes questions about an author's motivation for writing a story - to him an author writes something because that's what happened! If he knows it's fiction, he figures the author wrote it because it would be cool if it could really happen. Of course, I also hear, "I don't know why the author wrote it but I wish he didn't, this is really boring. Do I HAVE to read it?" LOL!
The book I'm having him read next is about a video game experiment - the kids involved are not told the real purpose of the experiment, they think they're just testing a game and getting paid for playing it. The author's motivation comes through quite clearly and I want to see if D picks up on that or at least how far I have to lead him until he sees it. Enough rambling, it's late and I have traumatized babies to see to in the morning.