Thursday, December 4, 2008

Phone Books, Experiments, and a Lab of His Own

Last night's Mythbuster episode included Jamie and Adam interleaving (interleafing?) phone book pages and discovering that the result was a connection that required ARMY TANKS to separate! Now I have two phone books here out of commission!

Earlier he had done a couple of friction experiments from Janice VanCleave's A+ Projects in Physics book, so the timing was perfect. I really enjoy having this woman's books, I used the elementary books for D's brothers when they were younger, then found the A+ Projects series. They don't seem to be for elementary level and I would love to have the other three for his next subjects. Science should be DOING, not just reading. He's been saving science for last so he doesn't have to stop at a set time.
I NEED A JOB! There are so many things I want to buy for him to experiment with, not the least of which is a yard so he can build a lab. That's what he's mentioned several times now, he's desperate for a lab of his own. My dad used to tell him about working in the science lab at his work, a boy in one of the history novels he had to read last year had one, he sees labs on MythBusters and Time Warp; he's sure his life will be much better if he can have one too. I wonder if he's too young to apprentice in a university lab, I'll have to check into that.