Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Take Pride In Learning Something New

People have gotten too used to saying They'll have so much fun, they won't even notice they're learning! In the prefaces and introductions of many textbooks, there's an apologetic and calming tone to reassure students that even though everyone hates/is scared of math/physics/chemistry, this book will not be as horrible as everyone expects.

I worry that with this attitude considered normal, whether students read it themselves or parents read it and pass it on to their kids, we're perpetuating it. I'm not really a proponent of pretending that no one dreads certain subjects, but it annoys me to read that so often in the front of a book that I borrow or buy because I find the subject interesting! Besides, I don't want D to pick up on the attitude and think that he SHOULD be hating the subject or that he's odd for not hating it.

What happened to the pride in maturing, growing up, learning?